Steel Brigade troopers were never animated.
The Steel Brigade security force was formed in 1993 as a clandestine means of logistical support for the G.I. Joe Team. Cobra appeared to be gaining strength and stretching the Joes' resources thin, and given the team's unofficial status, the old Army-supplied "greenshirts" were no longer an option. The regular forces of the Steel Brigade, represented by Variant D, were generally seen on base or on missions close to home, while away missions were typically assigned to Steel Brigade Paratroopers.
|Version 1: 1987 special mail-order
- head: Steel Brigade (87)
- arms: Flash (82), Grand Slam (82, 83), Steel Brigade (87)
- variant A-B torso: Airborne (83), Steel Brigade (87 A-B)
- variant C-D-E-F front torso: Duke (83, 88, 97, 04/III, 05/III, 05/IV), Starduster (87 B-C), Steel Brigade (87 C-D-E-F), Lonzo Wilkinson (06)
- variant C-D-E-F back torso: Doc (83), Duke (83, 88, 97, 04/III, 05/III, 05/IV), Starduster (87 B-C), Steel Brigade (87 C-D-E-F), Lonzo Wilkinson (06)
- variant A-B-C waist: Gung-Ho (83, 97), Steel Brigade (87 A-B-C), Duke (97, 04/III, 05/III, 05/IV)
- variant D-E-F waist: Cobra (82, 89), Cobra Officer (82, 89), HISS Driver (83), Viper Pilot (83), Stinger Driver (84), Steel Brigade (87 D-E-F), Duke (88), Cobra Infantry Trooper (04/I, 04/II, 04/III, 04/IV), Cobra Squad Leader (04/I, 04/II)
- variant A-E upper legs: Scrap-Iron (84), Steel Brigade (87 A, E)
- variant B-C-D-F upper legs: Airborne (83), Steel Brigade (87 B-C-D-F)
- lower legs: Airborne (83), Scrap-Iron (84), Steel Brigade (87)
|Accessories: light green backpack (83 Airborne's; variant F's is dark green); dark grey assault rifle (83 Airborne's Car-15, for variant A and some D's); dark grey assault rifle (85 Crimson Guard's, for variants B and C); black assault rifle (89 Recoil's M16-A2/M203, for some D's and variants E and F)
|[Personalized filecard. Buyer selected code name, characterization (leader, corpsman, or loner), best situation, personality, service branch, military specialties, weapons expertise, martial arts expertise, and training.]
|Variations: There are at least six released variants for Steel Brigade, differing primarily in the parts used to construct the figure. There was quite a bit of overlap in the release of these variants, except that Variant F was not released before 1992. F is distinguished by gold trim on the helmet and belt, with a dark green vest over a dark blue outfit. The "Gold Head Steel Brigade" is considered an ultra-high-demand item and is counted as a separate version by some collectors.
|Toy Notes: Available through many mail-in offers continuously from 1987 to 1993, including some stand-alone ads in magazines. A prototype in a dark blue uniform is known to exist.